Friday, April 8, 2011

The Biggest Project of My Life

In December, I started a journey. A name of which I've given it, "The Biggest Project of My Life." I bought a house. A house that needed to be loved.

Details of my journey-

It started with me meeting lots of houses with my Realtor (and also my father) John Baker. I met all kinds of houses. Big, small. Old, new (well newer than the old ones. By new, I mean like 1980s). After not being too impressed with the selection, my quite knowledgeable Realtor suggested that I make a list of what I was looking for. My list was as follows:

1.  No more than $115,000.
2.  More than 1 bedroom and more than 1 bathroom.
3.  Has a garage.
4.  In a safe neighborhood.
5.  Old. AKA... lots of character.

So, when my dad heard of this house coming on the market:
1.  Asking price $104,900.
2.  4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms.
3.  Detached garage.
4.  Good neighborhood with a low crime rate. (Thank you mom, my favorite police officer, for being a trustworthy source in the safety of the area)
5.  Built in 1931. AKA... lots of character.



I must have driven by it a thousand times. When I finally had the opportunity to step inside, I fell in love with this house. It was perfect. I knew my searching was over. My dad kept repeating, "This is going to take a lot of work." And I kept on responding, "I know. But it will be worth it." It was true, this house was in need of some serious tender love and care. But, lucky for my house, it was care I was willing to give.

Over the next week or so, I will post pictures of the transformation of my house. It was a journey. One that taught me important life lessons.

So here it is. The transformation of This Old House into my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment